Stand Up Paddle Boarding
SUPing is great fun as a sport, it is great for maintaining fitness and it can be a competitive sport. Follow us on face book and tiwtter to find out about open days and taster sessions as we open the Queen Mary water for Stand Up Paddle Boarding
How can I SUP at Queen Mary?
With the right conditions there are three ways to SUP
- You can rock up with your board, pay for a day SUP and go SUPing
- You can Hire kit: £10 per hour
- You can become a member and go supping anytime (please call for details)
How much experience needed to hire?
SUPing is such an accessible sport, easy to pick up, that anyone can hire our SUP equipment as long as you have some experience and water confident.
Never been supping? then on your first time we can organised a SUP taster session, if we have a spare SUP instructor available, for a 20 this starts with a 20 minute training session then get on the water there and then. A Taster Session is £20 for 2 hours, no booking required weather depending.
When can I go SUPing?
- Basically the wind conditions for SUPing have to be right, if it is too windy then is is very difficult and can become dangerous.
- If the green flag is up then you can SUP
Where can I SUP
Unless it is dispayed otherwise on the 'Daily Information Board' in the foyer, the SUP area will be on the West side from the end of the bund round to the Extraction Plant, and SUPers must stay within 20m of the bank. Alternative areas (displayed on the 'Daily Information Board') can be marked out by:
- Large white bouys with distinctive yellow markings to mark the outer limits
- To stay within 20 meters of the bank in other areas of the reservior
- To open the whole of either side of the reservoir on a completely flat day with no forecasted wind and limited other use
- A taster session is £20 for two hours, they are run though out the year, please call for more information.
- QM are always offering last minute taster sessions when the weather is right, keep an eye on the website & facebook page for last minute offers!
What kit does QM have?
- A mixture of Starboard Atlas 12' and Whopper 10' which are a solid construction
- Along side a mixture of Red Paddle co. Ride 10'6" and Mega 10'8" which are inflatable
lets go SUPPING!